SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298220

1: Snippet Details
1.2: Snippet Type: 
Secondary Reference
1.3: Snippet Detail: 

Plate 196 is a B&W context photograph taken in 1938 from the south of the station looking north. Armathwaite Signal Box is just visible in the far distance and the run of telegraph poles leading to / from it can be seen on the 'up' side of the running lines.

Plate 198 is a B&W context photograph taken "some 25 years after the opening of the line" (i.e circa 1900) from the south of the 'up' platform looking north. Armathwaite Signal Box is just visible in the far distance, as is the extremely tall 'up' home signal.

Figure 75 is the trackplan for Armathwaite based on a Midland Railway Survey of 1912. There is a signalbox (this structure) marked on the 'Up' side of the main running lines to the north of the station platforms, directly opposite the goods shed.

Figure 78 is the Armathwaite signalling diagram based on information for 1955.

Plate 204 is a B&W context photograph taken on 20th July 1957 from the north end of the 'up' platform looking north. Armathwaite Signal Box is clearly visible, as is an adjacent small building that has the look of a lamp hut, but which appears to have a ridged (rather than curving) roof - although this may be an optical illusion. The nearby (extremely tall) 'up' home signal is also visible.

Plate 205 is an undated B&W context photograph taken from the 'down' side of the main running lines, slightly to the north of the signal box. The signal box is clearly visible, as is an adjacent lamp hut / oil store (which in this image is clearly the typical corrugated iron type with a curved roof with centrally located ventilator cowl. The nearby (extremely tall) 'up' home signal is also visible, and the down platform and waiting room are visible in the distance. An impressive run of telegraph poles and wires is also evident on the 'up' side of the running lines. The caption for this image states that the box was a wooden structure, "brought into use on 16th July 1899", at "a renewal cost of £260 (W & W Committee Minute No. 171767, 18/5/1899)" and that it "closed on 15th January 1983".

Last updated by Mark Harvey on 25/03/2013
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.