Structure / Site Summary for 242580

Horton-in-Ribblesdale Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Up)

Horton Station Booking Office: South-western elevation view

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Horton-in-Ribblesdale Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Up)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 242

Location 2 - Chains: 42.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Up

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-C

Current Use: Commercial

Visibility: Visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

Figure 12 shows the track layout at Horton in Ribblesdale, based on information from a 1913 Midland Railway survey and a 1926 LMS rating plan.  Delaney's became part of Settle Limes Ltd for whom additional siding accommodation was  authorised in 1950 and completed in 1955.

Figure 13 is the signalling diagram for Horton in Ribblesdale, based upon information available for 1977 and includes alterations in signalling due to the abolition of Selside signal box in 1975.

Plate 31 is a view from the north of the No 3 small type of building in particularly well-maintained condition at a time when the station was receiving accolades for being well-kept.  The architectural features of this type can be clearly seen; the change of roofline over the waiting area between the gables, the glass-fronted screen with timber tracery, the low-roofed extensionto the left, the quarterfoil decoration in the gables, and the Gothic pointed arch to the window.

Plate 32 is an image of the structure in April 1968 photographed from the south with the up platform on the right of the image.  The station was closed to passengers on 5 May 1970 after being an unstaffed halt for some years.


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.