Structure / Site Summary for 247150

Ribblehead Signal Box

247150: Ribblehead Signal Box: Elevation view from the north west

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Ribblehead Signal Box

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 247

Location 2 - Chains: 16.50

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Down

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: Unknown

Current Use: Demolished

Visibility: Visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.

1: Context views

Between 14/09/1950 and 24/07/1964
42051 at Ribblehead Station with Signal Box plus Down platform and waiting room     

2: Elevation views

Early 1960s, probably 1963
247150: Ribblehead Signal Box: Elevation view from the north west     

3: Detail views

11 July 2007
Ribblehead Signal Box: Detail view - track diagram     

4: Cab-views

30 August 2012
Ribblehead SB Lamp Hut, Signal Box and Cattle Dock     

Primary / Secondary References

Plate 39 shows a May 1960 view of Ribblehead Station looking south with the signal box on the left side of the image, at the southern end of the former down platform (see structure ref 247220) , now demolished and replaced by structure ref 247135.  

Figure 16 is a diagram of the track layout at Ribblehead, based on information from 1874 and 1913 Midland Railway surveys.

Figure 17 is a signalling diagram for Ribblehead, based on information available for 1967.

Plate 40 is an image of Ribblehead looking south from September 1964.  The signal box was 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft of wood construction and brought into use on 10 July 1898 at a renewal cost of £260 (W & W Committee Minute No 16362 1/4/1898).  The box closed on 17 August 1969.

Plate 41 is an image of Ribblehead looking north in September 1964.  The lamp hut (see structure ref 247140) is on the left in front of the signal box.  

 


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.