Structure / Site Summary for 247780

Bridge SAC/66 - Ribblehead Viaduct aka Batty Moss Viaduct (PROW-bridleway)

Ribblehead Viaduct (also known as Batty Moss Viaduct and Bridge SAC/66) is the longest viaduct on the line. It is 440 yards long, 100 feet high, has 24 arches and it carries the Settle-Carlisle Railway over a dry valley known as Batty Moss.

The viaduct was built as a free-standing structure. The abutments at each end are a similar height to the piers, although they appear to be shorter because the embankments were built-up around them.

Before the navvies could build the piers and abutments, they had to dig holes up to 25 feet deep through peat and boulder clay to reach the limestone bedrock. Piers 6, 12 and 18 are known as 'king piers'. They are twice as wide as the others and they help to make the viaduct very strong. They were hollow when built, but have since been filled with rubble, sand and a special cement grout.

Ribblehead Viaduct: Elevation view from the north-west

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Bridge SAC/66 - Ribblehead Viaduct aka Batty Moss Viaduct (PROW-bridleway)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 247

Location 2 - Chains: 60.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Below

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-C

Current Use: Railway ops

Visibility: Visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy

The List Entry Number (LEN) for this structure is 1132228.

The relevant entry in "The National Heritage List for England" can be reviewed at:

List Entry Extract(s)

The information contained in the 'SCRCA List Entry Extract' database has been extracted (using the cut-and-paste method) from the relevant List Entries in "The National Heritage List for England" ( Clicking on the List Entry Number in the left hand column will open the relevant SCRCA Project List Entry Extract. However, these extracts may contain errors and the original entry may have been altered since the information was extracted. If you need to use the information for anything important, you are STRONGLY ADVISED to refer to the official List Entry using the relevant link in the right-hand column.

List entry Number (LEN) List Entry Name Protection Category List Entry County List Entry District List Entry National Park List Entry Source URL(s)
1132228 BATTY MOSS RAILWAY VIADUCT      Gr-II* North Yorkshire Craven    YDNP

Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.

1: Context views

15 July 2015
247780: Bridge SAC/66 - Ribblehead Viaduct: Context view from the south east     
15 July 2015
247780: Bridge SAC/66 - Ribblehead Viaduct: Context view from the south east     
17 May 2014
Ribblehead Viaduct and Ribblehead Station: Aerial perspective from Whernside     
08 April 2011
Ribblehead Viaduct and site of Batty Wife Hole and Batty Green navvy settlements     
08 April 2011
Ribblehead Viaduct: Context view from the summit of Park Fell     
08 April 2011
Site of Ashwell's Yard: Context from southeast with Ribblehead viaduct beyond     
21 August 2010
Ribblehead Viaduct: Context view from the northwest (with field barns)     
11 August 2009
Ribblehead Viaduct: Context view from the summit of Whernside     
22 July 2007
Archaeological sites in the Ribblehead area (SCR-1)     
22 July 2007
Ribblehead Viaduct: Context view from the north-east     

2: Elevation views

10 December 2012
Ribblehead Viaduct: Elevation view from the south     
05 May 2012
Ribblehead Viaduct: Elevation view from the north-east     
18 December 2010
Ribblehead Viaduct from the southeast at midwinter sunset     
22 August 2009
Ribblehead Viaduct: Elevation view from the west     
13 June 2009
Ribblehead Viaduct: Elevation view from the north-west     
07 July 2007
Ribblehead Viaduct: Elevation view from the east     

3: Detail views

30 March 2013
Ribblehead Viaduct (Bridge SAC/66): Icicles on one of the downpipes     
10 December 2012
Ribblehead Viaduct: North-west end abutment and embankment     
05 May 2012
Ribblehead Viaduct: Close-up view of the north-eastern datestone (1875)     
05 May 2012
Ribblehead Viaduct: The central king-pier and adjacent piers and arches     
05 May 2012
Ribblehead Viaduct: The north-eastern datestone (1875) in context      
25 March 2011
The northwest abutment of Ribblehead Viaduct and the adjacent massive embankment     
19 March 2011
Ribblehead Viaduct: replica number-plate for pier 9     
18 March 2011
Ribblehead Viaduct: One of the piers and part of its arch     
08 August 2009
Ribblehead Viaduct: Pier repairs seen in context (looking north-west)     
28 July 2009
Ribblehead Viaduct: Structural repairs dating from 1988-1992     
26 July 2009
Ribblehead Viaduct: The rail-deck viewed from the south     
22 July 2007
Ribblehead Viaduct: The rail-deck viewed from the north     
22 July 2007
Ribblehead Viaduct: The south-eastern datestone (1875)     
07 July 2007
Ribblehead Viaduct northeast end abutment, embankment and old tramway trackbed     

4: Cab-views

30 August 2012
Bridge SAC/66 - Ribblehead Viaduct aka Batty Moss Viaduct     
30 August 2012
Bridge SAC/66 - Ribblehead Viaduct aka Batty Moss Viaduct     

Knowledge Base

At a glance (key statistics)


OS Grid reference: SD 75940 79470.

Latitude: 54.21041 , Longitude: -2.370341000000053.).

Distance (rail-miles) from London St Pancras: 247 miles, 60 chains.

Date of construction 1870 to 1875. The first stone was laid (by William H. Ashwell) on October 12th, 1870. The first group of six arches were ‘turned’ in 1872.
Number of arches

24 arches, supported on 23 piers and 2 end abutments. Each arch has a rise of 18 feet and a span of 45 feet.

Length Approximately one quarter of a mile or, more accurately 440 yards or, even more accurately 1,328 feet.
Maximum height above the ground

100 feet. (Some sources quote 104 feet, but the level of the ground surface has altered significantly since the viaduct was constructed. A number of secondary sources quote the height as being 118 feet. However, this almost certainly a misinterpretation of contemporary acccounts such as the following extract from the October 21st, 1871 edition of the Lancaster Guardian: "The depth from the rail level of the viaduct to the bottom of the deepest foundation will be, when finished, about 118 feet." )


Approximately 34 feet across parapets. (The width varies slightly along the viaduct's length, probably to maintain clearance as the curvature alters).

Built for double track, but reduced to single track in 1984.

Pier thickness The normal piers are 13 feet thick at the base, but only 6 feet thick at the top. They have a 1 in 32 'bater' or taper on each face. The king piers are as twice as thick (26 feet at the base), so they give the structure extra strength and reduce the risk of a complete collapse in the unlikely event that one section should fail.
Gradient of trackbed 1 in 100: The north end is 12 feet higher than the south end.
Construction materials Limestone for piers, end abutments, voussoirs, external spandrels and parapets. Gritstone for parapet stringcourse and parapet copings. Engineering bricks for the arches. Track bed supported by flagstones spanning six sets of spandrels per arch.
First trains

On Sunday 6th September 1874, a contractor's train (hauled by the locomotive known as 'Diamond') became the first train to carry passengers across the viaduct.

In or around August, 1875, the first goods trains began to traverse the full Settle to Carlisle route. However, local goods trains operated along the two ends of the line well before this date.

On 1st May 1876, the first passenger train traversed the full Settle to Carlisle route.

Protection level Scheduled Ancient Monument. Grade II* Listed (List Entry Number 1132228). Located in the Yorkshire Dales National Park and the Settle-Carlisle Railway Conservation Area.

Additional information

  • According to the caption for plate 45 in Anderson, V.R. & Fox, G.K.: "Stations & structures of the Settle & Carlisle Railway" (Oxford Publishing Company, 1986), the exact length of the viaduct (and the total number of arches) was not decided until part-way through the construction process:

"it was not decided until December 1872 whether to have 24 or 18 arches."

  • However, Anderson & Fox do not provide details of the source of this information and it is contradicted by the following extracts from contemporary accounts:

Lancaster Guardian, July 23rd 1870:

"The foundations are being taken out at this moss for the large viaduct, which  will consist of 24 openings . . ."

Lancaster Guardian, October 21st, 1871:

"Batty Moss Viaduct, which is under the superintendence of Mr. Hurst, is an undertaking of considerable magnitude. This immense structure, when finished, will consist of twenty-four arches, each arch of 45 feet span and 18 feet rise."

  • The length of the viaduct was dictated by the need to balance:

    • the availability of stonemasons (to shape and lay the stone blocks used to construct the piers), and

    • the availability of labourers (to excavate, transport, tip and compact the rubble and boulder clay used to form the adjacent embankments).

  • Before the viaduct's piers could be constructed, holes up to 25 feet deep were dug through the peat and boulder clay to reach the limestone bedrock beneath. To provide a firm foundation for the piers, concrete was then poured into these holes up to a depth of approximately six feet.
  • The viaduct contains over 30,000 cubic yards of 'black' limestone, the bulk of which was quarried from a carefully selected site beneath and beside a stream in Little Dale (about 1½ miles north of the viaduct). The engineers were determined to find the best possible stone and, in order to gain access to the rock beds that lay beneath the stream itself, they had to divert the stream in an asphalt-lined stone trough.
  • The external faces of the piers are constructed from limestone blocks of varying sizes, as are the voussoirs, external spandrels and parapet walls. The largest stones used weigh between four and five tons each. Steam-operated lifting gear (mounted on temporary wooden scaffolding) was used to lift these enormous stones into place.
  • The arches were built in self-supporting sets of six (starting from north end), with wider 'king piers' marking the transition from one set to the next. When constructed, the king piers and end-abutments were hollow, but strengthened with internal walls constructed from limestone blocks. However, the voids have since been filled to prevent water-ingress.
  • The arches were built around wooden formers (frames) supported by scaffolding, which was in turn supported by two rows of projecting stone blocks in the piers. (The latter are still visible today.)
  • The arches are formed from multiple layers of brick and they vary in thickness from 3’ 0” at the springing point (on top of the piers), to 2’ 3” at the crown (i.e. the apex of the arch). The bricks used were made on-site (in a temporary brickworks) from locally extracted clay. They were of very variable quality and rejected bricks can still be seen littering the ground in many parts of the site.
  • There was intense commercial pressure to open the line to traffic as quickly as possible. These pressures were so great that goods trains began to operate across the viaduct before the parapet walls had been fully constructed.
  • The average wage paid to the workers building the viaduct was between 1s and 1s & 6d per day. The masons were paid 6s & 6d per day and they went on strike for over a week in 1872 when their working day was extended from nine to ten hours. Due to the severity of the working and living conditions, there was a high staff turnover and this was particularly noticeable immediately after each pay day.
  • The viaduct is built on a slight curve. (One source states that the radius of this curve is about one mile, although this has not yet been confirmed.)
  • A large datestone bearing the number '1875' is set into the eastern parapet wall above pier number 12 (the central king pier). This datestone records the year that construction work on the viaduct ended and the numbers were picked-out in gold leaf during rennovation works in the early 1990s. A similar stone is set into the western parapet wall, but the date is facing inwards (towards the tracks). The carved number '5' is damaged and barely legible. It is possible (perhaps even likely) that the stone was deliberately installed facing the 'wrong' way to avoid the time and expense of carving a replacement.
  • It has been estimated that approximately 250,000 tonnes of rock and clay were used in the construction of the embankments at the north and south ends of the viaduct, all of which had to be transported from nearby cuttings.
  • For a fascinating set of contemporary accounts relating to the construction of the viaduct, see paragraphs 1.19 to 1.34 of "How they built the Settle-Carlisle railway: C - Contract 1."
  • The winter winds swirl around the lofty piers of the viaduct with incredible force and speeds as high as 90mph. At times, railway workers trying to walk across the viaduct have been forced to get down on their hands and knees to prevent themselves being blown over. Railway folklore tells of a track ganger who, whilst walking across the viaduct on a particularly windy day, had his cap blown from his head. According to the story, the swirling wind whisked the cap down one side of the viaduct, through one of the arches, up the other side and deposited it firmly back on top of the man's head - albeit back to front. Unfortunately, the story is almost certainly just that as the parapet wall tends to deflect the wind upwards so that it passes well above the head (and hats) height of even the tallest of railway workers.
  • A number of sources state that members of the local Home Guard were assigned to guard the viaduct against possible German invasion during the Second World War.
  • The viaduct has always required constant maintenance and, in the 1980s, old steel rails and concrete cladding were used to strengthen many of the piers that had become weakened by water ingress. As a safety precaution, the line across the viaduct was singled until repairs could be carried out. Trial borings were made into some piers and minor repairs were carried-out in 1988. A waterproof membrane was added in 1989 and major restoration work was carried out between 1990-1992.
  • Although the rennovation works were carried-out to a high standard, the original double track formation was not reinstated and the viaduct remains the only stretch of single track between Settle Junction and Petteril Bridge Junction.
  • While Ribblehead Viaduct is the longest viaduct on the Settle-Carlisle line, it is not the tallest. That honour rests with the 130 foot tall Smardale Viaduct (SCRCA Structure 268670).

The best place to appreciate the sheer scale of the viaduct is beside the stone cairn / memorial located close to the base of the central pier (pier 12). WARNING: Do not linger underneath the viaduct as there is a constant danger of falling masonry. This is because the weather is constantly attacking the stone blocks and brickwork, not because the viaduct is in a poor state of repair.

Further reading

For an authoritative account of this iconic structure and its renovation, see Freschini, Tony: "A Brief Guide to Ribblehead Viaduct" (FoSCL, 2007).

An interesting illustrated account can also be found in W.R. Mitchell: "Ribblehead Re-born" (Castleberg, 1992).

Primary / Secondary References

Source: "The Midland railway: its rise and progress. A narrative of modern enterprise" by Frederick Smeeton Williams, published by Strahan & Co London (1876). The following extract is from pages 497-498:

An artist's impression of Batty Moss Viaduct during construction
Source: Williams, F.S.: "The Midland railway: its rise and progress. A narrative of modern enterprise" (1876)
An artist's impression of Batty Moss Viaduct during construction (from F.S. Williams, 1876).

Meanwhile the task of erecting the viaduct at Batty Moss was laboriously carried on. It stands on the watershed of the Ribble and on Little Dale Beck, and is the largest work on the line, consisting of 24 arches, the height of the loftiest from the bottom of the foundation to the level of the rails being no less than 165 feet. The arches are each of 45 feet span, and they are nearly semicircular in shape. The foundations have been carried 25 feet down through the peat-washing and clay, and they all rest upon the rock. The arches are of brick; and in constructing them, an arch was finished in fine weather every week, the first five of them being completed in five weeks. It is estimated that a million and a half of bricks were used in these arches. The work is of the most solid and durable character, and the stones are of very large dimensions, some of them weighing seven or eight tons, and many courses being from three to four feet in thickness. Every sixth pier is made of enormous strength, so that if, from any unlooked for contingency, any one arch should ever fall, only six arches could follow. The lime used for mortar is hydraulic lime from Barrow-on-Soar. The first stone of this vast structure was laid by Mr. William Ashwell, October 12th, 1870; and the last arch was turned in October, 1874. Our engraving represents the Batty Moss Viaduct in course of construction. As many viaducts embellish these pages, it was thought it would be more agreeable to the reader to have some of them depicted in some intermediate stage of their erection.


The image of the viaduct under construction was obtained from an original copy of the book held in the collection of Midland Railway Study Centre in Derby. It was kindly supplied by Dave Harris, the Study Centre Co-ordinator.

Plate 45 is a B&W photograph taken from the south on 15th April 1967 showing the full length of the viaduct. The caption states that the decision on the number of arches (18 or 24) was not decided "until December 1872" and that the decision depended on the relative availability of stonemasons vs. navvies. Figures quoted for the structure are: overall length = 440 yards; number of spans = 24; span of each arch = 45ft nominal. The source of the stone is stated as being "Selside and Ribblehead".

Plate 46 is an undated B&W photograph taken from close to the base of the viaduct [poorly] illustrating the difference between the 'king' piers (stated as being "18ft. thick at the spring") and normal piers (stated as being 6ft thick). The height of the structure is stated to be 104 ft.

Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.