Structure / Site Summary for 253290

Dent Station Signal Box

Dent Station Signal Box and the adjacent 'Snow Huts', viewed from the southeast

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Dent Station Signal Box

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 253

Location 2 - Chains: 25.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Down

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: Unknown

Current Use: Demolished

Visibility: Visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy

Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.

Primary / Secondary References

Plate 62 is a context view from the north west from May 1966.  The fences on the fell-side were built in an attempt to prevent heavy snow drifting on to the track (see SCRCA structure 253040). The waiting shelter on the up line is built into the hillside (see SCRCA structure 253370), a retaining wall provided at the back of the platform.  Passenger facilities were removed on 4 May 1971 although the station had been unstaffed for about three years.

Plate 63 is an image from the south east from 1963 of of Dent signal box which was brought into use on 9 August 1891.  It was constructed of wood with a 20 tumbler frame.  The renewal cost was £220 (W & W Committee Minute No 11590, 1/5/1891).  The box was closed on 28 January 1981.

Plate 65 is a context view from the north west of Dent station in 1970.  The site of a station to serve Dentdale had been in doubt even after the line had opened to goods traffic.  The 1872 proposals suggested a station at Dent Head, while later Arten Gill was mentioned.  However, the present site at Monkey Beck, now known as Cowgill, was decided upon in November 1875, the station eventually opening in 1877.

Figure 27 shows the track layout at Dent Station based on information from Midland Railway surveys of 1876 and 1913.  In 1964 the up lie-by was recovered and, coincidentally with signal box closure (1981), the sidings on the down side and the crossover were removed.

Figure 28 shows Dent signalling diagram based upon information available for 1963.


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.