Structure / Site Summary for 266700

Bridge SAC/182 - Intake (occupation)

Bridge SAC/182: Southeast elevation view

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Bridge SAC/182 - Intake (occupation)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 266

Location 2 - Chains: 55.50

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Above

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-C

Current Use: Railway ops

Visibility: Visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

Plate 111 is a view from the south of Kirkby Stephen Station in 1956. Bridge 182 is situated to the north of the station and clearly seen in this image.  This is the second station with the large type of buildings.  Note the angled name board on the up platform; all stations on the line had these until the beginning of World War II.  An unusual sight is the two rows of what appear to be  gas lamps;  these are actually illuminated by oil.  This station has undergone a number of name changes. In 1900 ‘and Ravenstonedale’ was added but reverted to simple Kirkby Stephen in January 1935. In 1953 the suffix ‘West’ was added when the ex-LNER station became ‘East’.  Normality returned in May 1968 when the simple title was reinstated.  Passenger services were withdrawn in May 1970, three years after it had become unstaffed.

Plate 113 is a view from the down platform showing the Main Building and Booking office and the up platform (SCRCA structure 266570).  Bridge 182 is on the left in this image.

Plate 118 is a view from May 1962 from the northern end of the down platform looking north towards Intake bridge (occupation) (SCRCA structure 266700).  Behind the Midland swan-necked water column (SCRCA structure 266620) is Bridge No 181 (SCRCA structure 266650)  which carried the railway over the Kirkby Stephen Road.  This bridge is similar to the one detailed at Garsdale (Figure 34) and was strengthened in 1903 with the addition of a steel centre girder. Note the timber panelling still intact over the parapet railings.


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.