Structure / Site Summary for 274800

Ormside Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Down)

Ormside Station Booking Office: North-west elevation view

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Ormside Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Down)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 274

Location 2 - Chains: 64.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Down

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-C

Current Use: Residential

Visibility: Part-visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy

Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.

Primary / Secondary References

Figure 46 shows in two sections the track layout at Ormside based upon information from a Midland Road survey from 1912.

Plate 133 is a context view of Ormside station from the south east.  The station building is a No 3 (small) building with light and dark stonework.

Original proposals were for a station at Asby, the next village south of Ormside.  This would have resulted in a passenger station in the vicinity of Grisedale some three miles away.  Later representations from local landowners resulted in the site being moved to this location.

Plate 133 also shows the signal box (/scrca/structure-summary/274860) which was brought into use in 1907.  It is of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft, with a 16 lever tumbler frame and had a renewal cost of £250 (W & W Committee Minute No 22118, 2/11//1906).  The box closed on 8 March 1960, from which time, although signal arms were removed, the pointwork remained secured in the normal position.

Plate 134 shows the station, the stationmaster’s house (/scrca/structure-summary/274840) and workers’ cottages (/scrca/structure-summary/274830) which formed a small community beside the railway but some distance from the village of Great Ormside.  Goods facilities, which were minimal, were not decided upon until 1876.  All traffic to this station ceased in June 1952.

Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.