Structure / Site Summary for 281980

Kirkby Thore - Mc Ghie's Siding (Alabaster Works) now British Gypsum

281980: Kirkby Thore - Mc Ghie's Siding: Context view from the south

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Kirkby Thore - Mc Ghie's Siding (Alabaster Works) now British Gypsum

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 281

Location 2 - Chains: 65.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Down

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: Unknown

Current Use: Railway ops

Visibility: Not-visible

Accessibility (ease of access): No Access


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

North of Long Marton station were the Gotham Co Ltd Siding and T McGhie’s Thistle Siding.  

Figure 51 shows the signalling diagram for Long Marton and nearby McGhies Siding, based upon information available in 1961.

Figure 52 is a track plan detailing the additional siding for the Silverband Mine at Long Marton, from a survey by the LMS District Engineer’s office (Leeds) 1941.
 

Figures 53 and 54 respectively show the track layout for each of these Sidings.  

Figure 53 is based upon information from an LMS survey for May 1927.  An agreement of 1924 between Gotham Co Ltd and the railway resulted in the provision of rail connection for the shipment of gypsum.  A lever frame was provided, protected by fixed signals.  Trains were not allowed to stop between sunset and sunrise, and signal lamps were not lit during the night.  The lamps were illuminated during daylight hours if there was fog or falling snow.  The siding could not be used as a lie by siding.

Figure 54 shows the track layout for T McGhie’s Thistle Siding at New Biggin based upon information from a Midland Railway survey for 1911.  The Thistle Alabaster Works of T McGhie & Co Ltd was situated on the west side of the line adjacent to milepost 282 (/scrca/structure-summary/282000).  It was controlled by a 4 lever ground frame which was brought into use in 1906.  Operational procedures were similar to those at the Gotham Co Siding, a quarter mile to the south.

Figure 55 shows the track layout of the New Biggin Gypsum Ltd Siding based upon information from a BR survey from around 1968.  The railway continued to call the siding McGhies although British Gypsum had absorbed the undertakings of both McGhies and Gotham Co Ltd. The siding developed to combine and extend those shown in Figs 53 and 54, removing the southerly rail connection (formerly Gothams).  The remaining rail connection came under the direct control of Long Marton signal box, following the replacement of the 1906 ground frame by an open type (4 lever) which was brought into use on 17 September 1947.  From that date, it was possible to use the sidings as a lie by, thus allowing following trains to pass.  This procedure continued until closure of the Long Marton box on 22 March 1970 when control was passed to Appleby North box (/scrca/structure-summary/277420).  

In 1960, a proposal to develop a site on the ‘up’ side, adjacent to McGhie’s, was considered which would have provided sidings and a signal box.  The latter would have been called “Dunfell Iron Mines” and was to contain a standard 1943 pattern lever frame.  The scheme came to naught.
 


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.