Structure / Site Summary for 283350

New Biggin Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Up)

New Biggin Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Up)

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: New Biggin Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Up)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 283

Location 2 - Chains: 28.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Up

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-C

Current Use: Residential

Visibility: Not-visible

Accessibility (ease of access): No Access


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

Plate 150 is a context view from the south around the beginning of the 19th century.  This was another station with a small type building.  The goods facilities here were not extensive; the cattle dock was proposed for five wagons. 
 
The tall five span over bridge (Bridge No 273 - Park Wood (occupation) ( /scrca/structure-summary/283870) in the distance connects the two parts of Park Wood which was bisected by the coming of the railway.

On the right of the image is the main station building and booking office.  Just visible is the lie-by siding (up) (/scrca/structure-summary/283450) which passed behind the northern end of the platform (see Fig 57).

On the left of the image is the waiting room on the down platform (/scrca/structure-summary/283320).  North of the down platform is the lie-by siding (down) (/scrca/structure-summary/283460).

Plate 151 is a view of the main building and booking office at New Biggin taken from the north in May 1965.  The building is of golden-coloured freestone, with red sandstone quoins, plinth and window surrounds. 

Note the short cast-iron lamp standard carrying an oil lamp.

This station became an unstaffed halt in January 1967 and closed to passengers on 4 May 1970.  Goods services had been withdrawn on 7 November 1966.

Figure 56 is a signalling diagram for New Biggin based on information available for 1966, with amendments added for 1972.

Figure 57 is a track layout for New Biggin, based upon a Midland Railway survey for 1911 and an LMS survey for 1931.  The loading dock near bridge No 271 (/scrca/structure-summary/283670) was, by an agreement of 17 September 1926, sold to Gotham Co Ltd, who became responsible for the maintenance of this, whilst the railway naturally retained responsibility for the associated track work.

Plate 164 is an elevation view from the south of the medium sized station building at Langwathby (/scrca/structure-summary/288280) taken in August 1966.  Most of the oil lamps are mounted on wooden posts against the fence and have replaced lamps on tall cast- iron fluted columns.  

However, as at New Biggin and Lazonby (/scrca/structure-summary/292560), one square lamp, mounted on a shortened cast post, has been retained to mark the entrance/exit to the platform.


Notes / additional information

Please note that New Biggin Station is no longer served by any passenger trains. The former main station building / booking office is now a privately owned residential property. There is no public access to any part of the former station area and no part of the former main station building is visible from a public right of way. No attempt should be made to acess this site unless prior permission has been obtained from the current property owners.

SCRCA Team Members have visited the site with the kind permission of the property owners and additional material is available for authorised (signed-in) users.


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.