Structure / Site Summary for 284670

Culgaith Signal Box (1908 - present)

Culgaith Signal Box: North-west elevation view

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Culgaith Signal Box (1908 - present)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 284

Location 2 - Chains: 55.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Up

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-O

Current Use: Railway ops

Visibility: Part-visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.

1: Context views

13 July 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from s-east end of the former goods-yard (6)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from s-east end of the former goods-yard (1)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from s-east end of the former goods-yard (2)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from s-east end of the former goods-yard (3)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from s-east end of the former goods-yard (4)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from s-east end of the former goods-yard (5)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from the north-west (1)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from the north-west (2)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view from the north-west (3)     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Context view: equipment cabinets (2)     

2: Elevation views

12 July 2013
Culgaith Signal Box: North elevation view     
12 July 2013
Culgaith Signal Box: North-west elevation view     
12 July 2013
Culgaith Signal Box: West elevation view     
06 May 2013
284670 Culgaith Signal Box: Elevation view from the south     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: South-eastern elevation view     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box: Western elevation view     

3: Detail views

29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box Interior: Block instruments     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box Interior: Level-crossing controls     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box Interior: Lever Frame     
29 May 2012
Culgaith Signal Box Interior: Track diagram     

4: Cab-views

30 August 2012
284670: Culgaith Signal Box (1908 - present): Cab-view video still (northbound)     

Primary / Secondary References

Plate 156 is a context view from the north taken in May 1965.  However, a few changes have taken place, and include a new signal box, new fencing, the ivy has been removed and the ornate lamp columns have been replaced by lamps on wooden posts.

In line with other Settle and Carlisle stations, Culgaith became an unstaffed halt on 2 January 1967, and was closed to passengers on 4 May 1970.  Goods facilities had been withdrawn on 5 October 1964.

Plate 157 is a view from the south of Culgaith from June. 1961.  On the right is the crossing keeper’s house (/scrca/structure-summary/284690), originally intended as the basis of station building.  The structure which was eventually built bears no relation to other Settle and Carlisle structures, although it is an attractive style building.  

Plate 158 shows Culgaith level crossing (/scrca/structure-summary/284680) and signal box in April 1971.  The signal box brought into use on 4 October 1908, was of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft, had a 16 lever tappet frame with 6in centres, and had a renewal cost of £250 (W & W Committee Minute No 22118, 2/11/1906).  The gates to the road crossing were converted a manned barrier installation in 1976.
 

Figure 59 shows the Culgaith signalling diagram, based upon information available for 1960.

The following is a direct extract from page 185 of Gough, John: "The Midland Railway - A Chronology", 2nd edition, published by The Railway and Canal Historical Society (1989):

"Culgaith Station SB: Opened c.1.1880 // Re-framed: 20.9.1896 // Replacement box: Opened 4.10.1908 // Closed  [no date given]"


Notes / additional information

The following information has been drawn from a range of sources and is included here as a temporary measure while the database is being constructed and populated.

  • Wood; 16'6”x11'6”x8'; 16 lever tappet frame with 6” centres [source: Anderson & Fox (1986)].
     
  • Manned barriers replaced L.C. gates 1976 [source: Anderson & Fox (1986)].

The signal boxes that remain standing within the boundaries of the SCRCA can be compared and contrasted via the 'SCRCA Structure Type Definition' page for signal-boxes.

On 5th March 2013, the Network Rail website contained a page entitled "Britain's signalling heritage" which included a link to an Excel spreadsheet listing all of the remaining signal boxes on the NR network as well as those on preserved railways. The URL for the webpages is:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/community/interest-groups/signalling-heritage/

A re-ordered extract from the full spreadsheet (in pdf format), showing the entries for the SCRCA signal boxes (sorted in order of their rail-location), is available here.


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.