Structure / Site Summary for 289650

Little Salkeld Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Up)

Little Salkeld Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Up)

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Little Salkeld Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Up)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 289

Location 2 - Chains: 56.50

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Up

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-C

Current Use: Residential

Visibility: Not-visible

Accessibility (ease of access): No Access


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

Plate 171 is an elevation view from the north from 2 May 1970, two days before closure to passengers, having been unstaffed for three years.  Taken from the down platform, it shows the Main Building and Booking Office and the Passenger Platform (Up) (/scrca/structure-summary/289670).  It gives a fine view of a small type of building.

Figure 63 is the Little Salkeld track layout, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 1913.

Plate 172 is a context view from the north with the Main Building and Booking Office on the left of the image.  It shows on the right, the signal box (/scrca/structure-summary/289740) brought into use on 13 August 1899.  It was of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft, had 12 lever tumbler frame and a renewal cost of £230 (W & W Committee Minute No 17176, 18/5/1899).  It was closed on 6 July 1964, but the crossover to the Carlisle side of the signal box and the signals controlling it were removed on 21 July 1963.

Well illustrated is the corrugated-iron oil store or lamp room (/scrca/structure-summary/289760); this was of a Midland Railway design perpetuated by the LMS.


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.