Structure / Site Summary for 298110

Armathwaite Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Down)

Armathwaite Station former Booking Office: South-south-east elevation view

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Armathwaite Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Down)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 298

Location 2 - Chains: 9.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Down

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-C

Current Use: Residential

Visibility: Visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

 

Plate 196 shows a Class 2P heading an “up” express through Armathwaite station in 1938.  The engine is passing over Station Road bridge - No 324 - 298 miles 4 chains (/scrca/structure-summary/298070).  Illustrated here is an example of iron railings on the bridge parapet near to a station platform.  The bridge numberplate is a standard LMS fitment.

Almost hidden by the engine is the main building and booking office and at the far end of the up Platform (/scrca/structure-summary/298130) is the signal box (/scrca/structure-summary/298220).

Plate 197 is a context view from the west,circa 1930, of Armathwaite station.  The unusual scene illustrates many details to be found in the vicinity of stations, but not frequently photographed.  The four cattle pens (/scrca/structure-summary/298170) are larger than those found elsewhere, and the dock was scheduled to have a capacity for five wagons.  The small brick building, adjacent to the cattle dock, behind the buffer stops, was designated as a “Saw Dust House”, (/scrca/structure-summary/298180) a facility provided at other places but not pinpointed on the surveys.  Small structures were erected near to many other cattle docks, and the saw dust found use in cattle wagons.

  
The large angled name board, which appears to be newly-painted, for some reason was not repeated on the “down”platform.

Note the heavy timber buffer stops, marking the end of the headhunts (/scrca/structure-summary/298260).  In the foreground is the weighbridge and weigh office (/scrca/structure-summary/298190).

The main building and booking office (/scrca/structure-summary/298110) on the down platform is on the right of the image.
 

Plate 198 shows Armathwaite station some 25 years after the opening of the line.  The oil lamps are still on the tall standards, and each lamp carries the station name.  Note the rustic seats with the name painted on the backrest and the angled name board again.  The station closed to passengers from 4 May 1970 after being an unstaffed halt for a number of years.

Visible on the image is the the main building and booking office (/scrca/structure-summary/298110), the passenger platform down (/scrca/structure-summary/298100),  (and at the far northern end the goods shed (/scrca/structure-summary/298230)) and the passenger platform up (/scrca/structure-summary/298130) with the signal box  (/scrca/structure-summary/298220) at the far end.

Figure 74 shows the track layout for Armathwaite, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912.

Figure 75 is a detail front elevation of a No 2 (medium) style station building, from an official drawing.

Plate 200 is a three-quarter rear view from the north west of the Carlisle end of the main station building of Armathwaite Station on 8 June 1968.  The passenger entrance is on the rear projection.  At the end of the wooden post and rail fence is a concrete ‘V' trap of LMS design; it is probable that this superseded a Midland timber version which was provided a few yards to the north.

Plate 201 is another three-quarter rear view of Armathwaite Station, on 8 June 1968, which shows how the Main Building looked from the Settle or Lazonby end of the station. 

Figure 76 is a plan and elevations of a No 2 (medium) style of station building for the Settle and Carlisle railway, taken from an official drawing.  The front elevation has been omitted, as details can be found by utilising Figure 75 and the right-hand end of the larger No 1 style shown on Figure 5 at Settle (/scrca/structure-summary/236490).
 


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.