Structure / Site Summary for 299690

Low House Crossing Signal Box (1900 - present)

Low House Crossing Signal Box: West elevation view

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Low House Crossing Signal Box (1900 - present)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 299

Location 2 - Chains: 55.00

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Up

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-O

Current Use: Railway ops

Visibility: Part-visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

Plate 208 Is of Low House Crossing as seen from the north (/scrca/structure-summary/299680).  Information regarding both the box and the frame is inconclusive, but it appears that the box was constructed on 14 October 1890, and that the present frame was brought into use from 12 October 1900; this latter date would coincide with Way and Works Committee Minute No 18026, 6 July 1900, for a renewal cost of £250.

The crossing gates were removed and lifting barriers were provided in 1975.  Although the road crosses the railway on the skew, the pedestrian footway crosses the rails at right angles.

Behind the crossing gates can be sen the signal box.

Plate 207 is of Low House Crossing (/scrca/structure-summary/299680) and the signal box as seen from the south on 21 October 1967.

Figure 79 is the signalling diagram for Low House Crossing, based on information available in 1955.

 

The following is a direct extract from page 186 of Gough, John: "The Midland Railway - A Chronology", 2nd edition, published by The Railway and Canal Historical Society (1989):

"Low House Crossing SB: Opened 2.8.1875 // Replacement box: Opened 14.10.1900 // Closed [no date given]"


Notes / additional information

The following information has been drawn from a range of sources and is included here as a temporary measure while the database is being constructed and populated.

  • L.C. Gates replaced by barriers 1975 [source: Anderson & Fox (1986)].

The signal boxes that remain standing within the boundaries of the SCRCA can be compared and contrasted via the 'SCRCA Structure Type Definition' page for signal-boxes.

On 5th March 2013, the Network Rail website contained a page entitled "Britain's signalling heritage" which included a link to an Excel spreadsheet listing all of the remaining signal boxes on the NR network as well as those on preserved railways. The URL for the webpages is:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/community/interest-groups/signalling-heritage/

A re-ordered extract from the full spreadsheet (in pdf format), showing the entries for the SCRCA signal boxes (sorted in order of their rail-location), is available here.


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.