Structure / Site Summary for 302930

Howe & Co's Siding Signal Box (1916 - present)

Howe & Co's Siding Signal Box: Eastern elevation view

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Howe & Co's Siding Signal Box (1916 - present)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 302

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Down

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: No

Construction / installation period: MR-O

Current Use: Railway ops

Visibility: Not-visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Unknown


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

There is no signal box or other structure marked at this location. The 1911 MR landplan does show a signal box labelled "Howe & Cos Siding S.B." on the 'up' side at 302 miles 72.5 chains, but that is SCRCA Structure 302900, NOT this structure.

Figure 82 is the track layout for the Sidings based upon information from an LMS survey of 1927.  By the time, the Gotham Company of Nottingham had taken over interest in the Cocklake's alablaster works (formerly Howe & Co.). This change appeared in amendments in 1921, although there was an Agreement with the LMS, dated 14 November 1924.  The signal box was replaced to the position shown here, in 1916.  The private siding for the Thomas Hamilton Company,(/scrca/structure-summary/303010) shown on the Midland Railway map, was an extension of the northerly Howe & Co Siding headshunt.  Hamilton Company changed its name to Messrs Wright in 1918.  The siding was taken out of use in 1924.
  
Figure 83 is the track layout for Howe & Company's Siding (/scrca/structure-summary/302890), based upon information from a BR survey dated February 1963.  Connection to the siding for the Lonsdale Brick and Tile Works is still intact, although the Agreement with the Company terminated on 30 June 1964, the trackwork was taken away from 11 October 1964.  This made it possible to remodel connections with the Howe & Co Siding.  Note the additional 'run around' positioned behind the box, and also the extra private sidings.  All these were added in 1943 as a result of the wartime requirement of the Ministry of Supply.
 

Plate 214 shows Howe & Company's Siding signal box, viewed from the north-east, brought into use in 1916.  It is of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 10ft, and had a 20 lever Midland Railway tappett frame with 6ins centres (W & W Committee Minute No 27529, 5/10/1916).  The lever frame was replaced in 1943 to coincide with the additional siding accommodation, when a pre-1943 standard 30 lever frame (4 1/2ins centres) was installed.

The following is a direct extract from page 186 of Gough, John: "The Midland Railway - A Chronology", 2nd edition, published by The Railway and Canal Historical Society (1989):

[NB: For details of the earlier structure, see Structure ID: 302930]:

"Replacement box 100 yards to the north: Opened 17.12.1916 // Re-framed 1943 // Closed [no date given]"


Notes / additional information

The following information has been drawn from a range of sources and is included here as a temporary measure while the database is being constructed and populated.

  • MR 20 lever tappet frame with 6” centres [source: Anderson & Fox (1986)].
     
  • Reframed in 1943 with pre-1943 standard 30-lever frame with 4½” centres [source: Anderson & Fox (1986)].

The signal boxes that remain standing within the boundaries of the SCRCA can be compared and contrasted via the 'SCRCA Structure Type Definition' page for signal-boxes.

On 5th March 2013, the Network Rail website contained a page entitled "Britain's signalling heritage" which included a link to an Excel spreadsheet listing all of the remaining signal boxes on the NR network as well as those on preserved railways. The URL for the webpages is:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/community/interest-groups/signalling-heritage/

A re-ordered extract from the full spreadsheet (in pdf format), showing the entries for the SCRCA signal boxes (sorted in order of their rail-location), is available here.


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.