Structure / Site Summary for 305330

Scotby Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Down)

Scotby Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Down)

Key details from the SCRCA Structure Record

Brief description: Scotby Station - Main Building & Booking Office (Down)

Assessment status: Assessed

Location 1 - Rail-miles: 305

Location 2 - Chains: 27.50

Location 3 - Position relative to main running lines (tracks): Down

Is a structure of this type shown at this location on the MR 1911 landplan?: Yes

Construction / installation period: MR-C

Current Use: Residential

Visibility: Part-visible

Accessibility (ease of access): Easy


Image Gallery

Tips: To view a larger version of an image and associated information as a single webpage, click on its title (then use your browser's 'Back' button to return to this screen if you wish to do so). To view a larger version of an image in a slideshow, click on its thumbnail (i.e. the small image), then click on the buttons (or press the left arrow, right arrow and 'Esc' keys) to control the slideshow.


Primary / Secondary References

Figure 89 shows the track layout at Scotby, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912.

Plate 219 is an elevation view from the north showing Scotby station.  Scotby was the most northerly Midland Railway station, and served a village quite close to Carlisle which may have accounted for its early demise, on 1 February 1942.  A medium-sized building was provided. The waiting shelter on the ‘up’ platform (/scrca/structure-summary/305350), although of a design to be found elsewhere on the Midland system, was uncharacteristic of the Settle & Carlisle line.  The station name boards appear to be much less tall than others, but utilise the cast letters to be seen on the larger angled boards.  The tall lamps use gas for illumination and the tall posts are to the design used elsewhere.

A new signal box was provided in 1897 and occupied a position set in the embankment, where the permanent way hut can be seen (/scrca/structure-summary/305190).  However, Way & Works Committee Minute No 23768, 4/6/1909, authorised removal of the box, and the provision of a covered lever frame on the ‘down’ platform (/scrca/structure-summary/305320) (to the left of the station building) and levers on the ‘up’ side, (next to the waiting shelter).  One siding only was provided as goods facilities (/scrca/structure-summary/305200), although this did have a small cattle dock (/scrca/structure-summary/305230) and the services of a crane.
 


Structure Location Map

Tips: This structure is located approximnately at the centre of the map below at the pointed end of the red marker. To adjust the scale of the map, either click on the [+] and [-] buttons (if Google has displayed these in the top-left corner of the map) or double-click your mouse buttons anywhere in the map area: left button = [+] = zoom-in, right button = [-] = zoom out). To 'pan' (move) the map, hold-down the left mouse button, then move the mouse. To open an information bubble containing brief details of the structure, left-click on the red marker. Please note that the position of the marker is approximate because Google keeps moving the map (yes, really!).

Javascript is required to view this map.
The SCRCA Project section of the FoSCL website was designed and
developed by Mark R. Harvey. Database rights have been asserted.