Improved rail services: we're now actively campaigning for a better service between Leeds and Carlisle. And there's still time to complete our short online survey on a new direct Manchester-Carlisle rail service. Note: you can only complete the survey once from any given computer. Please total the responses from your household and enter them all at once.
For background information on the campaign, click here.
Join us! You'll be helping to support and fund our campaign for this and an improved service between Leeds and Carlisle. Just click here.
FoSCL Railcard: if you're already a member, you can get one. (It used to be called a Gold Card). It's the same as a Dales Railcard, for those who live outside the eligible postcode areas.
To buy one, first log in (tab at top right of this page). Just joined? There is a time lag before your membership is registered, so you can't log in to buy one just yet. If you want to purchase a Railcard immediately, email using Contact Us and we'll register you straight away.
Please note: we have to order each Railcard individually from Northern Rail so it can take a fortnight or so before you receive it. Existing members please order well in advance! Just click here.
What we do: with some 3,500 members, we are probably the largest rail support/user group in the UK. We provide support to the Settle-Carlisle Railway by
- Regularly providing On Train Guides to enhance travellers' experience of the Settle-Carlisle Line.
- Regularly leading Guided Walks from stations along the line and at the historic Ribblehead site.
- Helping to produce and distribute promotional leaflets to boost passenger numbers.
- Looking after station gardens, providing heritage style benches and re-painting woodwork.
We act as a user group through
- Liaison with Northern Rail (the train operating company) on passenger services and Network Rail on railway infrastructure. Through our on train guides and other contacts we are uniquely placed to understand passengers' concerns and relay them to the relevant authorities.
We run shops at Settle and Appleby stations selling a wide variety of S&C related items and local produce.
If you would like to know more about FoSCL, click on the About Us tab at the top of the page.
We hope that you enjoy looking round this web site, that you will come for a tour of England's most scenic railway and that you will consider joining the Friends. We look forward to seeing you.
- History of FoSCL
- Building the line
- Historic operations
- Historic Structures
- Guided Walks
The SCRCA Project
A small group of FoSCL volunteers is undertaking a project to identify and record all of the historic structures within the Settle-Carlisle Railway Conservation Area (SCRCA). Further details of this project can be found on the SCRCA Project page. A randomly selected structure from the SCRCA Project database is displayed below. To view a larger version of the image, click on the image. To view details of the structure, click on the structure description.