All the walks begin and end at one of the stations along the line. Walks are organised to connect with the following trains according to the direction of travel. Please check the current timetable to see what time the relevant train arrives at the start station. This is the time the walk will start. You do not have to travel by train. Just be at the station to meet the train. Click here for the current timetable details.
Some walks use additional bus journeys. Normal fares and concessions apply on these journeys.
Engineering work sometimes cause disruption and alterations to the published timetable (usually Sundays). On days when such work is taking place any planned walks are likely to be cancelled. Please check the details of individual walks for up to date information.
Leeds - Settle - Carlisle line walks
Monday to Saturday - connects with the 08.49 Leeds-Carlisle train, returning to the 16.18 Carlisle-Leeds train (unless otherwise indicated). Some walks return to the 18.16 Carlisle-Leeds train. These are indicated on the individual walk details.
Sundays - connects with the 09.00 Leeds-Carlisle train, returning to the 16.37 Carlisle-Leeds train (winter months could return to the 13.51 Carlisle-Leeds train).
Leeds - Lancaster - Morecambe Line walks
Monday to Saturday - connects with the 08.19 Leeds-Morecambe train, returning to the 16.19 Morecambe-Leeds train (unless otherwise indicated).
Carlisle - Settle - Leeds Line walks
Saturdays - connects with the 09.26 Carlisle-Leeds train, returning to the 14.49 Leeds-Carlisle train (unless otherwise indicated). Some walks connect with the 07.52 Carlisle-Leeds train. These are indicated on the individual walk details.
The following notes are provided to help you enjoy the guided walks. No specialist clothing or equipment is required but you should be aware that weather conditions in the Yorkshire Dales can change quickly and particularly at higher levels the temperatures can be much lower than in the valleys. There are very few opportunities to buy food and drink on most of the walk routes and limited refreshments are only available at certain stations.
- Please bring a packed lunch and plenty to drink.
- Waterproofs and spare warm dry clothing should be carried.
- Walking boots are recommended, or strong shoes for shorter walks in summer. Training shoes are not recommended unless specifically designed for 'off road' walking.
- Walk leaders reserve the right to refuse participation on the grounds of health or unsuitable clothing/footwear.
- In the case of adverse weather conditions or other unexpected circumstances, leaders retian the right to vary or cancel the walk.
- While leaders take every care, your comfort and safety are your own responsibility.
- There is no need to book in advance on most walks, simply turn up on the day at the station where the walk begins to meet the relevant train and the leader will be waiting.
- No liability or claim can be accepted by FoSCL or its officers or committe, walk leaders, Leeds-Morecambe and Settle-Carlisle Railway Development Co. for any loss, damage, accident or personal injury howsoever caused.
- Dogs must be kept under control, preferably on a lead, at all times. Dogs are not allowed on most open access land.
For any further information or enquiries about the guided walks please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful phone numbers
National rail enquiries (local call rate) 08457 48 49 50
Northern Rail Customer relations 0845 00 00 125
- History of FoSCL
- Building the line
- Historic operations
- Historic Structures
- Guided Walks