The SCRDC was set up in 1992 as a not for profit limited company in response to the call from the Transport Secretary for all parties to work together following the reprieve of the Settle-Carlisle Line in 1989.
Since the early 1990s the company has been able to survive on core funding, mainly from the Train Operating Company, and trading income.
Its main activities are:
- Promotions and marketing for the Settle-Carlisle and Leeds-Morecambe lines
- Group travel: the management and booking of groups travelling on the line
- Dales Railcard administration: a discount scheme for local rail users
- a refreshment trolley service on many trains between Settle and Appleby
- Station staff are employed by the SCRDC at Settle and Appleby to cover times when the TOC staff are not there
- Skipton station cafe is a subsidiary company of the SCRDC
Each organisation has its own web site. You can visit SCRDC at https://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/
Each organisation has its own social media accounts. You can follow SCRDC on Twitter @setcarrailway and Facebook Settle Carlisle Railway.